Sunday, May 10, 2009

No.


Avrien and I have decided not to use the word 'No' with our son. He usually responds to "Uh-uh," or "George," said firmly. So, we reserve the word 'No' for more severe occasions. It's better for him to know when we mean business, rather than equating all instances with the same level of severity. Lately, when we say "GEORGE," he looks back at us with his sweet eyes, and continues whatever he is doing. Sometimes, he will shake his head back and forth, as if to say "No," back to you, and then he continues what he is doing.

I walked in on him pulling books off of the bookshelf in the living room the a couple of weeks ago, and when I said his name, he began to shake is head 'no' and he continued to pull the books off of the shelf, shaking his little head back and forth. Clearly, he grasps the concept. However, he chooses not to apply it.

A couple of days ago, I walked up on him harassing our cat, Addie. He was patting her firmly (VERY firmly - OK, this was just short of a beating) on the head. I said, "Gentle," about 6 times, and after he made the choice to disregard me, I picked him up in my arms and walked into the living room. He fussed for a bit. We try not to respond to his tantrums. So I put him down on the floor. He crawled back over to the cat, and the cat stretched out her sharp claws, as an invitation. "Try it again," she taunted with her eyes. Immediately, I looked at him, and said, "No!" He looked back at me. His pursed his lips, his lip began to quiver, he tightly scrunched up his face, and he let out a loud wail. It was as if I had ripped his toenail off with pliers.
"He's testing you," says my mom.


Ah yes! The test.


From what I understand, he will continue to test me until HE is old. I thought there was, like, a 16 year grace period on this. Isn't he supposed to start this in high school? Apparently not. Apparently, this is what being a mom is all about. Love and tests. These little tests prepare us for the final exam....high school, college, and eventually, letting them go. Every time they occur, these tests bring us one step closer to heaven. Sometimes, I stare at George sleeping and come close to tears. I don't want him to get bigger. I don't want him to experience the negative things of the world...but it's inevitable.


So mamas, look at your babies (or adult "babies") and rejoice in them every second of the day. They are our ticket to heaven....how lucky we are to be mommies. Happy Mother's Day to every single one of you.


Thank you George, my little angel. My first Mother's Day has been exceptional, because of you and the joy that you bring to my life.




1 comment:

  1. The first of many tests. Just wait till George is correcting you and Avrien for what he perceives as wrong. - Candi

    ReplyDelete